Ethan was born 1-29-10 (His edd was 2-1-10). My birthing experience was actually pretty good. I started having contractions on Thursday night at about 9pm for about 3 hours every 5 minutes. They weren’t painful, but uncomfortable and my stomach would get really hard and you could see it push out.

I called labor and delivery and they said that I could either stay home and wait for them to get stronger or head to the hospital. I decided to go to the hospital. When they checked me I was 2.5 cm dilated. They told me if I got to 3 cm that they would admit me. They checked me about an hr. later and I was still at 2.5 cm. They said at that point I could either stay, walk around the hospital or go home try and get comfortable and then come back when the contractions were painful.

I decided to go home so that my mom and husband could get some sleep. Right when we got in bed I had a really painful contraction. It was different than the ones I had been having earlier. The only way I can describe it is a severe menstral cramp.

I didn’t feel my stomach tightening anymore. Shortly after the first one I had another one. I told my husband it was probably time to go back to the hospital and that I would go take a shower before we left. I was in the most excruciating pain, it made me buckle over, the shower was tough to get through.

I could barely breathe through the contractions on the way to the hospital. We got admitted I think it was sometime after 6AM and I asked them to give me drugs ASAP. I think when they checked me I was at 3 or 4 cm. I would HIGHLY recommend an epidural. The pain was SO excruciating before I did. Once I got it I just felt a bit of pressure with each contraction. Before that, like I said I couldn’t even breathe.

Probably no more than an hour after the epidural, my water broke on its own. They checked me again and I was at 4 cm dilated. Probably an hour after that, the Dr. was talking about starting me on Pitocin, the drug that causes stronger contractions. I told the nurse that I felt like I might throw up. She told me that this could be a sign that I was ready to go. Sure enough, she checked me and I was 10 cm dilated.

We were all completely shocked, we thought for sure it would be a few more hours especially since the contractions on the monitor didn’t look like they had been that bad. I pushed for about an hour and then Ethan was born at 12:44 at 7lbs 2oz. The pushing part is tough, it was pretty painful (not as bad as the pain I had earlier though) and tough to push as hard as you could for an hour. The Dr. had to cut me a little bit as he thought I would tear. We had to stay in the hospital for 2 nights as Ethan’s breathing was a bit fast and they wanted to keep an eye on it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: